Home > Ask Our Experts > Constant Head Pain and Tingling: What Could it Be?

Constant Head Pain and Tingling: What Could it Be?

By: Kathryn Senior PhD - Updated: 28 Jun 2012 | comments*Discuss
Headache Headaches Eye Strain Eye Test


I am 14 years old and have been suffering with headaches for over a year now. Over the past year they have been getting increasingly worse and are now getting unbearable and constant. The pain is only on the right side of my head and often tingles alongside the constant pain.

I have been to my GP twice and they keep telling me to come back if they haven't gone in 6 weeks.I hope you have a suggestion of what it is and how I can make it go away?

(A.S, 17 June 2009)


It is really impossible to tell you what is causing your headaches – it is only possible to investigate that with physical examinations and your doctor is in the best position to help you. However, it does seem as if they are not taking the problem very seriously. It could be nothing, or it could be something that requires treatment. Just waiting for six weeks might be a way to just avoid dealing with the problem.

Have you told your parents or another adult you are close to about how you feel and how bad the pain is? I think this would be important if you haven’t already done so. I would then recommend that you ask them to go with you and book an appointment with your local optician. It is possible that the headaches could be caused by eye strain. I know myself that if I am working on the computer a lot, sometimes I get really bad headaches on one side of my head because my left eye gets very strained.

At 14, you are likely to be doing a lot of school work – do you wear glasses? If not and if you have never had an eye test, you might have a sight problem that could easily be sorted out. Go along and have an eye test – as well as checking your sight, the optician will also check the inside of your eyes and the pressure in your eyes and rule out any problems with the eyes themselves.

If all is OK and your sight is fine but the headaches continue, go back to your GP and take the same adult with you. Get them to explain about the results of the eye test and to ask the GP to investigate further – ask for a referral to a specialist if necessary. To rule out that there is not a serious problem going on inside your skull, either with your brain or blood vessels leading to your brain, you might have to have some sort of scan. This is painless and the doctors can see exactly what is happening on that side of your head.

It may be that there is no obvious physical problem – in which case your headaches may be chronic and you may just be prone to them. However, even if this is the final explanation, your doctors should be working on devising proper pain killing treatment to help you deal with the headaches and live a full and normal life.

Sometimes doctors are busy and overlook problems that they should be paying more attention to – you and the adult you choose to accompany you must hold your ground. Insist on a second opinion if necessary, but get this checked out and you will feel a lot better.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Julieregan
    Re: Headaches and Migraines in Women
    I have an overactive thyroid gland and have had it since I was 40. I am using carbimazole tablets once daily. I struggle with…
    25 July 2017
  • holycow
    Re: Sinus Headaches
    my daughter has been diagnosed as suffering from a virus in the brain, how can she get rid of this pounding headache that never stops
    24 July 2017
  • JTV56
    Re: Headaches After Head Injuries
    @Stells - I would - it doesn't harm and it's always best to be on the safe side. Jean.
    20 July 2017
  • Stells
    Re: Headaches After Head Injuries
    I fell backwards 2 weeks ago and hit my head on the pavement, initially it dud hurt and I had a headache the next day. I was on…
    19 July 2017
  • bree
    Re: Thyroid Disease and Headaches
    2011 March 27th migraine started after herniated disc c5/c6 had a formanectomy in 2012 after a conservation period under…
    12 July 2017
  • Tomba
    Re: Scalp Pain: What Causes It?
    My problem started about 15 days ago. The pain first started at the right side of the head including the right cheek, right ear and…
    6 July 2017
  • PrinDi
    Re: Scalp Pain: What Causes It?
    @Stinging Headpain - Poor you, it sounds genuinely awful. I hope you get better soon and manage to resolve all these awful…
    4 July 2017
  • Stinging Headpain
    Re: Scalp Pain: What Causes It?
    Oops...My pain is on top of left side of my head. It feels like my head is on fire sometimes..I have also tried a chiropractor.…
    3 July 2017
  • Stinging Headpain
    Re: Scalp Pain: What Causes It?
    I have been in pain off and on for 11 years...The first bout of pain lasted for 6 months..It will stop for a few months and start…
    3 July 2017
  • HeadacheExpert
    Re: Herbal Remedies for Headache and Migraine Relief
    Ummnoor - Your Question:If you have had an MRI (CTS?) scan and nothing unusual has been found then the…
    3 July 2017
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the HeadacheExpert website. Please read our Disclaimer.